Sunday, August 19, 2012

10 Km swim off Venice Beach in Los Angeles, CA

A calm morning in Marina Del Ray,
A serene ocean promised a brilliant day.
Bodyglide applied for rash free locomotion,
6:30AM all of us trotted into the Ocean.
Some ran and dashed in, in a flurry,
I don't get it, what is the big hurry?
Hit the first buoy and made a right,
First hint of sunlight…what a sight!
Coastline - framed in a golden glow,
Sun rose, the sea got clearer below.
Mesmerized by the gentle ocean swells,
wrapped in the earth's bosom, and it's spell.
Well into a rhythm past Venice beach pier,
A brush with kelp...shook me out of my rapture!
The runs into the beach were greeted with cheer,
The big breakers oft landed me on my derriere.
'This way!' she said, 'the current you can't fight',
To the gal on the surfboard, I owe you one alright!
The open seas, for sure, has a certain allure,
If all goes well, I'll be back next year!

(View of the coast from Venice Beach Pier)
(going back in during one of the 'out & back' sections)

(Saturday on the pier - we saw dolphins!)

The 2010 map. In 2012 they had the 6 mile swim.



No comments: